Thursday, August 8, 2013

Life Lessons from Beckham: "I need milk!"

      


       It seems that everything God has been teaching me lately has to do with Beckham’s eating routine.  Jamie and I have begun to learn when he is crying because he is tired or crying because he is hungry.  The tired cry many times is resolved by offering him our pinky finger to suck on.  After sucking on that for a while he usually calms down and slowly (very slowly) will drift off to sleep.
       The hungry cry is different.  It is loud and unstoppable.  Nothing but food will console him once he has gotten to this point.  Even if we offer him our pinky it will not suffice.  He may suck on it for a second, but as soon as he realizes milk isn’t coming out the screaming gets louder.  He will continue to scream until he gets fed.  Beckham’s body knows it needs milk.  Therefore, he longs for it and will do all he can to get it.  .  
       This morning as Jamie prepared to feed him, God used Beckham’s screaming to remind me of the verse:  

Like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation.”  2 Peter 2:2

As I watched my son scream until he got fed I thought, “Why don’t I long for the Word of God like my newborn longs for milk?”  The sad truth: because I don’t think I need it.  Too often I am pacified with pointless things.  Many days I willingly exchange my feeding time reading in the Word of God for something pointless like television.  Watching TV grows me spiritually as much as sucking on daddy’s finger grows Beckham physically: none.  

Don’t settle for a finger when you need milk.

"My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God."  Psalm 84:2

No comments:

Post a Comment